The Council will shortly be updating the enforcement policy for Environmental Health and Licensing to reflect legislative changes and to replace the 2008 version which is now out of date.
The Policy is intended to cover enforcement of individuals and businesses by the Council in the following fields.
- Animal Control
- Contaminated Land
- Enforcement functions as Local Housing Authority
- Enforcement functions as Local Litter Authority
- Enforcement functions as Waste Collection Authority
- Food safety and hygiene
- Health & Safety at Work
- Pollution control including nuisance, air quality and noise
- Public Health including infectious disease control and health protection
We wish to take a balanced approach towards our regulation whilst fulfilling our role in protecting public health, the environment, the safety of the public and our responsibilities to ensure compliance with law. We are particularly interested in the views of business as they are from time to time the subject of contact time with the Council.
Specifically we are interested in any observations along the following lines:
- Any comments on the balance between informal and formal enforcement
- Any comments on the fairness of the processes used to determine enforcement action
- Any comments on the proposals to utilise civil sanctions (fixed penalty notices), where applicable as an alternative to prosecution.
- Any comments or observations of a general nature relating to the way the Council regulates businesses and individuals.
We are aiming to collect responses by 16th May 2014 and we thank you for your time.
For further information, please contact
Oliver Nelson, Environmental Health Team Leader
enforcement policy final draft